Advocacy and Communications Intern
The Chandler Foundation is seeking an Advocacy and Communications Intern to support a variety of research, communications, and program management projects. This temporary position will allow you to build relevant skills while working closely with a small, yet mighty and fun team of social impact professionals.
About The Chandler Foundation
The Chandler Foundation is a philanthropic organization based in Seattle that is focused on building the foundations for a growing and broadening prosperity in the Global South. It accomplishes this through financial and non-financial support to organizations that are helping to build the conditions for shared prosperity and through leadership, support, and advocacy in the movement to make philanthropy and social investment more effective.
At the Chandler Foundation, we imagine a world in which nations are well-governed, socially responsible businesses drive economic growth, and all people have the opportunity to thrive and flourish. Through patient, long-term, system-changing support of trusted partners, we contribute to this vision.
The foundation is led by CEO Tim Hanstad, under the direction of the foundation’s founder and chairperson, Richard Chandler. For more information, visit www.chandlerfoundation.org.
What you will be doing
Examples of projects and workstreams that you would undertake include:
- Drafting communications such as memos, emails, press releases, and concept notes to be shared with external partners involved in Chandler Foundation’s effective social investing and advocacy work streams
- Assisting in the development and execution of overall strategic communications outreach, especially social media
- Conducting research to improve Chandler Foundation’s digital presence
- Developing content for the website, blogs, social media etc.
- Drafting, proofreading, and light design of the Chandler Foundation’s guiding strategic documents, including designed reports and slide decks
- Serving as a copy editor and editorial assistant for Chandler Foundation’s flagship publication, Social Investor
- Assisting in the development and execution of digital and print dissemination strategy for Social Investor magazine
- Researching and landscaping the social investment industry by identifying new and evolving organizations, movements, initiatives, and trends that are shaping the industry
- Managing various internal communications to keep the Chandler Foundation staff up to date with actions and undertakings of our program partners and key collaborators
- Data entry and research tasks to ensure up-to-date and accurate recording of contact information utilizing Excel and the foundation’s CRM, Insightly
What we are looking for
- Thinking: Intellectual curiosity and creativity
- Connect-the-dots: An ability to note how organizations, ideas, and trends are linked and how they support each other
- Communication: Speak, write, and edit succinctly
- Detail-oriented: Attention to detail and a commitment to delivering a high quality work product
- Management: Meet deadlines and multi-task. Work with intention and due-speed
- Knowledge: Preference for individuals with knowledge of trends and best practices in digital and social media strategy
- Competencies: Experienced with Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook required, experience with Canva, Pixlr, Fotor, or other Photoshop software is a plus;
- Education: Enrolled in or graduated from an undergraduate or master’s program at an accredited college or university. Coursework in Communications, International Development, Economics, Social Innovation, Civics, or Philanthropy preferred
- Commitment: Approximately 30-40 hours a week from June 2022- August 2022. Potential to continue throughout the 2022-2023 academic year on a more part-time hourly schedule
- Work environment: Hybrid – Arlington, VA office and at home arrangement as long as deliverable deadlines are met
Please send a resume, cover letter detailing your experience and interest in the position, and writing sample (preferably a non-academic piece of 800 words or less) to email@example.com as soon as possible but no later than May 25. If you are selected to move forward with the application process, we will be in touch with next steps within a week of receiving your application.